8.15.2011

It was bound to happen sooner or later..

Well, I missed my train last night. As super embarrassing as it is, it actually couldn't have been at a better time. I wasn't going to a conference or to a meeting where I had to be in that city by a certain time. I was going to Odessa and then further south to Sergiivka where I will be helping out at Camp Bereg. AND, most other cities in Ukraine are sold out of tickets going to Odessa...it's a big hot spot during the summer for vacations. However, with my central location in Kirovograd, a lot of trains come through here on their way south to Odessa. 6 to be exact. I was also pretty lucky because it was a relatively cheap ticket (I think it was 60 or 65 griev...less than $10 USD)...AND, the lady at the ticket counter last night refunded me 25 griev even though my train had already come through.

Here's how the night went down. I thought my train left at 10:25 pm. Nope. It left at 8:25 pm. I misread the ticket (even though I probably checked it about 25 times in the past few days to make sure that it was for the right day and time). The other options for leaving from my city are all after midnight (or even at 2 or 3 in the morning) which is why I chose the "10:25" train. I was planning on leaving my house at 9 pm which would give me PLENTY of time to get there. The city marshrutkas were still running then, but not all of them. So, I ended up taking a marshrutka to the center of town (for 2 griev=25 cents) and then taking a taxi for 20 griev (a little over $3 USD). Oh, and I forgot one little anecdote: it was RAINING. Lovely. I finally got to the train station at 10 pm (after standing in the rain waiting for a marshrutka that would never come). I was ready to crash on my bed on the train. When 10:20 pm rolled around, I stood up and put on my backpack and headed to the doors that lead outside (into the pouring rain). They always announce over the loudspeaker (inveryfastRussianthatisreallyhardtounderstand) the arrival of a train...and it never came. Trains here are notorious for being on time, so I wondered what happened. I eventually asked a lady if she knew about it and she informed me that it was her first time at this train station. Her husband was helpful though and told me that I could go talk to the lady in information.

Upon speaking to her and explaining that I do not speak very good Russian and that I missed my train, she told me to give her my ticket and that was when she refunded me my 25 griev. I kept asking if any of the other trains coming through that night going to Odessa had seats, but she said they were all sold out. I asked when the next train coming through going to Odessa that HAD seats would be and she told me 5:48 am or 8:25 pm. I never remembered seeing a 5:48 am train to Odessa online but I knew the 8:25 would probably have some. I couldn't buy a ticket then though (no cashiers open), so I went home (and found a cheap taxi driver that I will be calling from now on! See, something good happened from this...).

After laughing and talking to a few people about it last night and today, I'm accepting the fact that this was bound to happen sooner or later during my time here. And I really lucked out with when and how it happened. I've been trying to get a picture of my ticket to load, but it won't for some reason, so no pictures today! Sorry folks :)

I went back at 7 am this morning to buy a new ticket...came home...and crashed for 3 more hours of sleep. It was raining and the perfect morning for a little snoozing.

One of the things I'm most excited about going to camp for: my trip to McDonald's by the Odessa train station. I would NEVER eat at McDonald's in the states. Ever. Maybe on a mission trip or choir tour when it was the only place that would house 50-150 rambunctious kids. But even then, I groaned about it because I never wanted to order anything off the menu. Yes, their fries are delicious...but they're HORRIBLE for you. And yes, the McFlurry's are great...but again HORRIBLE for you. I don't care about that stuff now. Because it's like I get to eat a little America, and you can bet that I enjoy every bite of it. Let's just say it's a good thing that Kirovograd doesn't have a McDonald's...because I know i would eat there more than I should. And yes, it is almost weird that k-grad doesn't have a McDonald's because most cities of this size do in Ukraine.

One of my link-cluster mates, Kym (who went on my first Odessa trip), is also going to camp with me tomorrow. Her train get in 3 hours after mine...ha, so I'll be spending 3+ hours sitting in McDonald's basking in free wifi, air-conditioning, and most importantly, feeling a little bit at home :) I can't wait. In the mean time today, I think I will watch a movie or some tv shows...my apartment is clean, my fridge is cleaned out, and I don't know what else to do with the day. I made another batch of zucchini bread (thanks to Catharine's great recipe) to take down to the folks that are already at camp. I'll get to see one of my cluster mates, Jamie, who actually lives in Sergiivka. Good times will be had with Kym and Jamie around--multiple laughing sessions are sure to ensure. But, until then...happy Monday!

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

I can only sometimes understand train/subway announcements in English. Can't imagine trying to decipher them in another language!

I predict there will be a McDonald's in K-grad before your PCV time is up.