9.21.2011

Way-Back-Wednesday #11: Boomer Sooner baby

So, technically this post isn't very far back.  However, I had been meaning to write about this topic for a couple weeks...and I didn't have any other way-back-Wednesdays to post about!  Let's see...where do I begin this post?  We'll go with chronological order :)

Sooner football season has officially begun!  And with that, a slew of pictures sent to me from my mom's phone involving football season and all that it entails!


Guess who is using my season football ticket?  You're welcome, Mitchy! 
The "family" that sits in front of us at home games.  We've watched the little boys grow up for 10 years.  They have a feisty grandmother that also sits with them who gets very into the games.  Adorable.

Student section and the band...this was at the first game versus Tulsa.

What can you spot in this picture?  

 So, after OU's victory over Tulsa a couple weekends ago, my parents headed south to Bama to see friends and family, but also to see the Sooners (ranked #1) take on Florida State University (ranked #5).

Mom and Pops at FSU

SOOO many OU fans at the game.

Since the OU vs. FSU game was on at 8 pm eastern time, which meant it was in the wee early hours of the morning for me, I went on to bed.  I was also sick then...so I was anxious to get up the next morning to see what the results were!  I quickly logged onto Facebook knowing that everyone in OK would have posted something about the game, regardless of whether we won or lost!  My friends didn't let me down :)  There were "boomer sooners" left and right, and then I spotted this picture that Jill was tagged in from the "OU Boston Group."


I knew that on OU game days, there is a bar about a block away from Fenway that houses the "OU Boston Group" and that Jill usually goes to it.  So, I was looking for Jill in this picture (in the middle--blonde hair, white t-shirt)...finally found her...and then I started looking for Ashley or Kathryn who also live in Boston (remember my road trip with Jill and Ash?).   THAT was when I discovered my sister-in-law standing to the left of Jill (the other blonde).  And THEN, I discovered my sister-in-law's sister standing to the left of her (another blonde with a baseball hat on).  At this point I knew that my brother had to be in the picture somewhere too.  Sure enough, he's in the back left (super tall) second from the left.  When I skyped with my brother on Monday, he informed me that sure enough he and Tina (my sister-in-law) got a table at the bar early...then Jill and Kathryn showed up...and more Normanites...and then Tina's sister and her fiance...and then Tina's parents too!  My favorite part of the story is that neither Jeremy nor Tina went to OU but are both die-hard Sooners fans.  So, when somebody new would come to the table, they would ask them what year they graduated from OU, or where they used to live in Norman, etc.  

My brother's answer to his affiliation with OU? 
"I'm the only one in my family who didn't go there for college."  ha :)  We'll forgive you Jeremy.  

You're also the only one in the family who doesn't know what Здравствуйте means.  :)    

excited to be using his new HD webcam (see the wood-burning stove in the background?   I helped chop wood for that with an ax!)

I don't think your headphones are big enough...

That, my friends, is my update about OU football.  In other news, I will teach a lesson on HIV/AIDS next week to a group of Ukrainian English teachers.  I'm also finally getting some good response to English clubs at my site.  My last news: I tried to make chocolate no-bake cookies tonight without peanut butter.  I used this recipe online but ended up adding more oats at the end because the mixture was way too soupy.  They're not too shabby for no peanut butter!! I have to save my precious PB for emergency use only :)  I have gone through 2 jars in the 3 months I've been at site and have one left.  If you feel like sending a care package, peanut butter is always welcome :)  Until tomorrow...night night!

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Very well, thank you. :)

I didn't know there was a moon on the Oklahoma flag...

Crunchy or creamy peanut butter? And I bet you're scraping those jars out like I do, just like Grandma used to.

Anonymous said...

Incredible story about the Boston Group. That's too fun!

They are going to have to start providing suspenders to those kiddos...ugh