After my unsuccessful day of shopping for a new PO box lock yesterday, I found myself finishing work and feeling brave enough to go deal with the post office lady on my own. My counterpart was busy, and this weekend has yet another Ukrainian holiday (this time, Old New Year)...which means that the post office would be closed at some point over the weekend.
I walked into the post office...practicing vocab in my head. The same lady from all of the previous times saw me, barely acknowledged that I was standing a foot in front of her, so I did what any other American would do: I waited to be acknowledged. I never know if they are working or on a break...and most Ukrainians would go up to the window and ask that. And I guess I could, but I wasn't feeling that brave. After a minute, I finally said, "Excuse me..." and got her attention.
The look on her face was pretty priceless: Oh good, it's that girl again.
I quickly explained that I had been to the bazaar and looked at all of the shops for a new lock. None of them have any. Do you know anywhere else that I can look? She informed me that the manager would be in tomorrow and that if I was available, I should come see what he can do for me then. Victory! After thanking her profusely, I timidly asked her if I could see in my post office box. I cringed...waiting to see her groan and get out of her chair. She calmly said yes, and even remembered what number it was. It was all pretty harmless today dealing with her...somebody up above was looking out for me :)
And...when she opened the case for me, I did in fact have a package slip waiting in my box!!!!!!!!!
As I left the building, I walked around the corner to go to the building where I pick up packages. Then I saw the line.
The window that I always go to pick up packages had a little sign in it that I couldn't understand. The girl was sitting there, and I awkwardly asked her if she was working. She said no, and to get in another line.
"Um, ma'am, can you tell me which line I need to be in?"
She hurriedly pointed to the longest line in the room. Of course. So, I moved to it and started waiting. At least 5 more people came in after I did, asked the lady the same question, and got at the end of my line. I had to avoid eye contact this entire time because people always seem to pick me of all people to ask a question to...like I can A) understand them and B) would know where to send them.
We wait...the man behind me coughs ALL over my back...and picks his nose. I turned around and glared at him a few times. I was not having luck with public places today (this morning on my marshrutka, one of the kids had a dirty diaper. It was almost bad enough to make me get off and walk...). I texted a few of my PCV friends. I wait. One person in the line gets through. Now there are only 6 people in front of me.
And then, the lady who normally helps me with packages magically decides to start working again and calls me over. "девушка!"--meaning "girl!" I quickly turned around and realized she was talking to me. I squealed with delight (to myself) as I ran over and gave her my package slip. She quickly went to find it in the back room...and I was home free. No more coughing man. No more nose picking.
The grin on my face made my cheeks hurt as I rushed home.
The package was one from my brother and sister-in-law. I got to skype with them while I opened it...and it was full of surprises for both of us because it was mailed just over a month ago! It included some Christmas things that I will still use...in addition to some stellar food choices :)
**natural Jif peanut butter (which I've never had!)
**funfetti holiday cake mix AND icing
**marshmellows for s'mores (and for Ukrainians to see what a marshmellow is...)
**candy canes (these were because Ukrainians had NO idea what a candy cane is...)
**Reese's Pieces (I couldn't resist and opened them tonight. Whoops.)
**DESIGN MAGAZINESSSSSS :)
and perhaps my favorite thing in the package:
pop-tarts. oh.my.gosh.
Thank you thank you Jeremy and Tina :) perfect timing because I'm just about finished with my bag of Chex mix from mom. I don't know how long I can save pop-tarts. Pretty sure I've eaten those things since I was probably 10 years old?
I am trying to play catch-up on all of these random Christmas/New Years performances I went to during the month of December. This was a practice that I went to when Maria (one of my link-cluster mates and sweet, sweet friends!) was in town. My counterpart and I were showing her around my work...walked in the dance room...were invited to come and watch...and I luckily had my camera. These kids were precious...maybe 9-10 years old. Enjoy!
Today's word of the day was cough. You can probably figure out why.
кашель--cough!

2 comments:
I'm glad one finally made it! The post office description was funny even though I'd heard a version of it this morning already. :)
The first thing out of the (damaged) box was the marshmallows, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen before, and never will see again, anyone so happy to get a bag of marshmallows!
I loved your description of the day's trials and am so glad you got a package after enduring them. A triumph! And, yes, I laughed out loud more than once at what you wrote about your adventures at the PO. Love, Pops
Post a Comment