Random Frost Family tradition: after a long trip, we return home to a Snoopy beach towel {that is probably 25+ years old, which is as old as I am btw, weird.} hung up in the bathroom. The towel has something along the lines of, "Happiness is a warm blanket" written on one side, and my family is going to have to help me out with what's written on the other side! Totally blanked on it now.
Anywho, the home that I was talking about is my host family's home in Oster. When I get off the bus and walk the 15 minutes down hill to their house, I know I'm home again. The dog greets me at the gate. The cats dart in and out of the open door. Food is offered before I even have time to take off my jacket. It's feels so good to go there and be home.
And then, there's my bed. A queen-size bed that I can roll ALL over and still not use all of the available room. It's glorious. That's all.
I got to visit one of my old teacher's Lyuda. She's a TCF (culture/technical teacher) for Peace Corps trainees. It was fun to get to chat with her and catch up on life. I also got to meet the new group of volunteers that are living in Oster. I can remember how excited we were the first time a real PC volunteer came to visit us during training. The questions we bombarded them with were probably ridiculous.
I got to say hi to a few of the babushkas who live in the apartment building across the street from my house. They complimented my Russian {nice ego boost} and asked where all of my cluster mates live now. Even though it was pouring rain when we stood outside talking, they still had to catch up on all of their gossip. Babushkas in Ukraine are about as gossipy as a group of middle school girls.
Can't wait to go back and visit my host fam's house again soon. Christy {one of my host sisters} showed me how to make a bead bracelet I've been dying to learn how to make. Super excited to buy more beads and start making them.
It snowed/sleeted/rained/hailed in Oster today. Nice April Fool's joke, eh? Not so much.
I splurged and had Domino's pizza today in Kiev. Super yummy margarita pizza. If only I could get some Papa John's garlic sauce or Kraft Ranch Dressing. :)
My energy level is still lacking after the pneumonia. Walking for 10-15 minutes has been tiring me out. I feel so old having to sit for a while and recuperate after something as simple as going to the store.
Gotta get going now :) much love.
3 comments:
The side you are not recalling at the moment has Snoopy asleep on his doghouse saying "After a trip, it's always nice to get home to your own bed again!" And it's FORTY years old!!!!!
Love,
Mom
I seem to remember Woodstock somewhere on the towel. I haven't seen that towel in probably 10 years or more, though.
LOL at the description of the babushkas and their gossip!
Hold the mobilnik: they have Domino's pizza in Kiev?!?!? Wow! Oh, and the Hidden Valley Ranch packets from home are quite delicious made with Ukrainian sour cream. Cheers!
Post a Comment