2.23.2011

Way-Back Wednesday # 5: cleaning out my old room...

Today was spent cleaning out my old bedroom and closet at my parents house. This, of course, has needed doing for quite some time, but I like to put things off. However, in the deep abyss of my closet, I found some great treasures that I moved with me from Alabama. I laughed and showed my parents these items which will bring no money at the garage sale, but provided HOURS of entertainment to me as a kid. They are:

A handful of cassette tapes, including mixed tapes that my brother made for me because I thought his music was so cool. This "Jock Rock" album featured the Ramones, and some music that sounds like Jock Jams. On the other side? It was labeled "Casper," which I know I did a recital dance to in middle school. I have to find out what other music is on there...it took me wayyyy back to when I used to listen to music on my walkman.

These two games were both FLOPPY DISK games that my brother and I played for hours on our original family computer (circa 1990's?). Not pictured is the ORIGINAL Oregon Trail (also a floppy disk version), which I couldn't bear to part with.

I also found my Eastern Europe scrapbook from 2004 that I had no recollection of creating. I need to scan the pages in it and post them...talk about a trip down memory lane! I didn't have time to go through all of it because I was digging out my old dance costumes, first pair of toe shoes, etc. All in all, a highly productive day.

And what else happened you might ask? I received my SLEEPING BAG (thank you Cathy and Wally!) and a new pair of mittens from Marmot! I used my PC discount on both items...which I believe came out to be about half off. Pretty sweet. My winter boots also arrived in the mail today. They are supposed to be 100% waterproof, which will be great for sludging through the snow and slush.

Tomorrow is another full day of sorting stuff for the garage sale. Items to be included in the garage sale include:

my embarrassingly large shoe collection (I am getting rid of a TON of shoes. Size 9-9.5. Some of which haven't been worn that many times... :/ )
clothes/jackets (some of which also haven't been worn that much)
a bajillion picture frames
home decor items (wall decor, candles, shelves, lots of things that are great for dorm/college life)
furniture (end tables, coffee tables, bookcases, etc.)
kitchen stuff
books (great chick lit as our teacher, Mrs. Swisher, in high school called it; also, tons of my parents books)
OU stuff

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. And I'm falling asleep in bed now...so I'm going to publish this and say goodnight! Toodles :)

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Those games do take me back. Those are DOS games, I think. Though we did upgrade to Windows 3.1 at some point in there. The only sound was from the squawky internal PC speaker. The monitor weighed as much as a bowling ball. It did have a flat screen, though, rare for the time.

Quincee said...

Hey Lydia! I wanted to pass along the "Versatile Blogger" and "Stylish Blogger Award" to you. Instructions about the awards are on my blog at: http://quinceetaylor.blogspot.com/search/label/awards. Can't wait to hear all about your future life in Ukraine through the blog!

Jill Ranch :) said...

LEMMINGS!!! and OREGON TRAIL!! Obviously you do not sell those because I highly doubt you could ever come across them again. I can't believe it's almost time! AHHHHH!!! I love and miss you soooo much!