3.09.2012

from the {very} sick bed of Lydia...

Thought I'd write a quick update since I don't know what my internet sitch will be like the next few days. After a few days of being quite sick and my antibiotics not helping, I talked to the PC doc today and he instructed me I needed to go to a hospital here in k-grad to get a chest x-ray.  

The verdict?  Pneumonia.  

That was a word I didn't think I would add to my Russian vocabulary...

Wednesday and Thursday were pretty crappy days all around with my temperature being anywhere from 100-103.5 degrees. My fever finally broke sometime in the night last night and I felt a bit better today.  Still not great by any means, but definitely an improvement from Wednesday where I had just about reached my breaking point.  

Went to a private clinic here in K-grad with my counterpart today.  Got a chest x-ray and waited for a doctor to come read it. When the doc shows up, I call the PC doc and they discuss things via telephone, and then I hear what sounded like "new-mahn-ee-uh"...pretty much a cognate.  I looked at Olena (my counterpart) and said, "pneumonia?" Yep.  

Got an ultra-sound done on my lungs then to see if there is fluid in them...not sure what the verdict of that was.  But, it was decided that I'll be going to Kiev early in the morning so that the PC docs can see me and decide the course of treatment.  I'm just glad I finally know what I have.  

I have great sitemates who brought me food and flowers for Women's day (thank you Phil) and cleaned my apartment/made me eat something/packed my bag (thanks Dan and Vicki).  And my parents thank you too :)

Gotta go shower and rest for a while.  Taking a 4 am marshrutka to Kiev, so when all of you in America are going to sleep tonight, I'll be arriving in Kiev and finally on the road to recovery.  

Much love,
Lyd


2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Thanks to Olena, Phil, Dan, and Vicki for helping out my little sister!

Susan said...

I agree with what Jeremy said. Lydia, you are in out prayers. May God bless you with His healing strength. You take care of yourself.Love you honey,
Susan